Buttermilk is an amazing health drink on its own and is also used in smoothies, baking breads or cakes, mixed with mint to make an after-meal digestive drink etc. Buttermilk is easily available in the stores but contains preservatives and what not. Here is an easy way to make buttermilk at home-
Buttermilk recipe with yogurt –
Things you need-
- 2 cups fresh cream or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon yogurt or 1 teaspoon probiotic/culture powder
- In a bowl, add cream and curd. Mix it well and keep it at room temperature for 2-3 hours or until it smells a bit pungent.Transfer it to the refrigerator and keep it overnight.
- The next morning, start mixing the cultured mixture using a spoon or whisk until you see the water and butter seperating. At this point, add in some cold water and keep mixing.
- Strain to separate the butter from buttermilk and there you have your very own buttermilk and butter!
- Store the butter in an air-tight container and refrigerate. Transfer the buttermilk in another container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
Quick buttermilk recipe with Lemon –
For a quick buttermilk recipe, You will need – 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Just add lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk, and let it sit out at room temperature for about 10 minutes. You can use it this homemade buttermilk in any recipe, it is great for pancakes, salad dressing, fried chicken, and more! For a dairy free buttermilk, use a non dairy milk and add in lemon juice or white vinegar.