Dying the hair with henna is a practice that has been followed since ages. The stream of commercial hair colors had taken the spotlight from henna in recent times but henna has its takers all over especially the ones who do not want to put their hair through the chemical overload. If you are someone who has never gone for a henna hair dying, then we strongly recommend you to try it once and we are sure you will love it.
Henna is generally used to dye hair, as well as on hands and nails as tattoo designs. The henna leaves can be used in the form of a paste or powder. Typically when used at home you can do it with fresh henna leaves or you can buy the henna powder and use as per your comfort and choice.
Why opt for henna dying over other dying methods?
- Henna dyes the gray hair completely
- It is natural and with zero chemicals
- nourishes the hair making it shiny, soft and silky.
- It conditions the hair naturally
- Henna balances the pH of the scalp, thus, preventing premature hair fall, graying and dandruff.
READ MORE – COCONUT ALOE SLEEPING MASK FOR THICKER HAIR
Things you need-
- Organic Henna powder – as per the length of the hair
- Lemon juice
- Few drops of extra virgin coconut oil
- Water as per requirement
Henna can be used in any form either powder or paste. If you are using the leaves then grind it into a fine paste and skip adding water.
Take the henna into a bowl, and then add lemon juice and water into it. The purpose of lemon juice is to release the dye. You can use half lemon juice, or for longer hair juice of one full lemon can be used.
Add in coconut oil and mix it all well and keep it overnight. Apply this henna mask the next day all over your hair starting from the root to the tip. Wash off after 3-4 hours.
Points to be noted:
- Use gloves while applying henna or else you will be left with orange stained hands
- You can add in strongly brewed black tea or coffee for deeper shade.
- Apply petroleum jelly on the forehead near the hairline; neck etc. wherever you feel you might drop the henna paste
- Do not use shampoo while washing your hair
READ MORE – CLEAR SKIN ALOE FACE MIST
Caution – we recommend doing a patch test on skin and hair strand before all over application.