We use a lot of products these days to style our hair and also to tame them for a well-groomed look. Excessive usage of hair products can lead to build up causing oily scalp and sticky hair that tangles. It is important to clarify the scalp at least once a week and you need not always buy clarifying products for the same! You could easily make a cleansing and purifying salt shampoo and below is a recipe:
Castile soap- Castile soap is the mildest scalp cleansing ingredient and is a great alternative to SLS-containing shampoos. The castile soap that I used contained coconut oil; most of the castile soaps you get des contain healthy and nourishing oils which moisturizes your scalp.
Sea salt- Sea salt helps eradicate dandruff, cleanses the scalp ad pores by gentle exfoliation and also stimulates hair growth. It gently removes scalp and hair build-up thus cleansing your hair.
Rosemary essential oil- Rosemary essential oil has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that stimulate new hair growth and also promote a healthy scalp.
RECIPE FOR SALT SHAMPOO:
Things you need-
- 1 cup liquid castile soap (if you do not have castile soap, you can also use any mild baby shampoo or SLS-free shampoo)
- 2 tablespoon sea salt (granulated or powdered)
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- In a bowl, add castile soap followed by sea salt.
- The salt won’t dissolve completely but will form tiny granules, and that is what you want for gentle exfoliation. If you want to save your time, you could add in powdered sea salt and simply give it a quick stir.
- Add in 10 drops of rosemary essential oil. Mix well.
- Pour the shampoo into a pump bottle and you are done!
Note: If you have dandruff, you can substitute rosemary essential oil with either peppermint or tea tree essential oil.
- Always patch test before use
- If you are pregnant, always consult your doctor before incorporating any essential oils in your health/skin care/hair care routine.
- Never use essential oils directly on your skin, make sure they are always diluted with carrier oil.