Cough toffies and chewable pills work the best for kids and also when you do not want to consume medicines. These toffies or pills are sweet and contain anti-inflammatory ingredients that soothe the throat and helps relive cough symptoms. Before you head on to your nearest medical store, how about making them yourself by using effective natural ingredients? Below is how you could easily make cough drops at home:
Lemon- Lemon is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It also balances the natural micro flora in throat and soothes inflammation.
Honey- Honey has great anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a great remedy for cough, cold and sore throat.
Ginger- Ginger too has anti-inflammatory properties and is very potent that gives instant relief.
RECIPE FOR COUGH DROPS:
Things you need-
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder or ginger paste
- 1 cup brown or white sugar (hardening and sweetening agent)
- Juice of ½ big lemon one 1 medium sized lemon
- 4-5 tablespoons raw and organic honey
- Place a saucepan or any vessel on low flame and add in water.
- Add in ginger and give it a quick stir.
- Now, add in sugar, lemon juice and honey.
- Cook the mixture until it gets sticky and thick.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture come to room temperature so that it thicken a bit and easy to drip into desirable drop shape.
- Put coin sized drops on parchment paper/silicon mat or plastic sheet and let it harden for about 30 minutes.
- Coat the drops with cornstarch, castor sugar or arrow root powder to avoid a sticky situation. Store them in an air-tight jar.